how to plant polyculture (more than one plant in a bed)?

0 votes
asked Feb 13, 2013 by Ben Stallings
I'm finding this interface frustrating because I plant in polycultures -- more than one type of plant together in a bed -- and the design interface seems to assume that a "bed" is only one type of plant with a path on all four sides.  If I create a "bed" for each plant I want to put in a bed, the design becomes mostly path.  Is there a way I'm missing to indicate more than one type of plant in a single bed?

3 Answers

0 votes
answered Feb 14, 2013 by Anna Giacon
but how to do it in the software?
Thank you, Anna.  Yes, I'm talking about intercropping, and those links are helpful for learning how to do it in the real world, but my question was how to do it in the garden planner software.  I'm sorry that was unclear.
+1 vote
answered Feb 14, 2013 by Reiko Endo
I agree with you Ben, it has also other frustrating points (you cannot change the size of the bed leter, for example), I hope it will be improved in future, because it's quite interesting idea to do gardening planning on web and share it with others (now I do my precise planning with Excel in PC). I think in the meantime you can use "Simple Gardening" that doesn't have any beds...
Thank you, Reiko, that's helpful.
about polyculture
0 votes
answered Mar 6, 2013 by filo cam
Hi Ben,

That is the same reason why I gave up designing  my garden. Further I tend to use spare seeds or food wastes as propagating material.

Have you ever heard (or tried perhaps) about  growing together corn, bean (using the corn stalk as props) and pumpkin? The seeds of the three species should be sow together in the same place? I wish to try but I am not sure about the kind of bean to use.