I would like to do a lot of interplanting and was wondering if anyone has tried potatoes and cucumbers, squash, pumpkins

0 votes
asked Feb 27, 2013 by tracy blee
Would there be a problem interplanting potatoes with cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and just have them growing around the spuds being as the spuds are pretty much left to grow until the end of the season.  If anyone is knowledgable about interplanting i would love to hear about your ideas. One year I did try the corn, green beans and squash, but was not impressed the beans seemed to be to shadowed by the squash and didn't do well at all. I have read if you interplant you confuse the bugs because of all the different smells when you mixed it up. I won't use poisions because I have cats and grand children in the garden with me all the time.   Thanks for the info and have a great day!!!!  Tracy

2 Answers

0 votes
answered Mar 27, 2013 by Donald Turner
Generally Intercropping is not recommended but there are certain crops that can be intercropped for advantages ie corn and mung beans where the mung bean will provide nitrogen to the soil and may produce a crop or could be used  purely as a green fertiliser.

Intercropping potatoes and cumcumbers would be a bit messy as the cumcumber is best planted as a climber and if you did support the cumcumber it maystarve the potatoe of light.

The better option for pest control iscrop rotation as opposed to intercropping primarily because when you rotate the crops you will starve out certain pests that would have favoured the previous crop.

Hope this is of some help concerning the subject.
0 votes
answered May 7, 2013 by Joan Joyce
I plant corn beans and squash together all the time, You have to allow the corn to get going first so they can reach a proper height and don't plant too close together. I provide canes for the beans to climb