Raised beds in zone 9; yes or no?

0 votes
asked May 2, 2013 by Joe Davila
I live in a zone 9 and want to know if raised beds are a good idea in this hot climate.

4 Answers

0 votes
answered May 2, 2013 by Leonardo Piras
Hi Joe,

I might not be the greatest expert in here, but raised beds are always a good idea.

Even hot climates get some rain from time to time :)
0 votes
answered May 3, 2013 by John Brady
I live in Phoenix AZ and have used raised beds for veg gardens for the last few years with great success. My problem the dirt in my yard was dust not dirt, so it was much easier to use all new soil in the raised beds.
+2 votes
answered May 3, 2013 by serena covone
well raised beds are good of course and if u use mulch... all the better. that will help to keep the moist during the hot days.

most ppl here use permaculture principles, so that u get a natural ecosystem.

i would do it regardless of the zone, freezing zones benefits from the fact that roots are not so exposed to freezing temperatures.

while hot climate get to retain most of the moisture during the day.

a dripping watering system would complete the work, 2 inches of mulch are required in summer times, in winter when cold u need 4 inches, pretty easy.

bye for now

serena
0 votes
answered May 24, 2013 by Cheryl Robinson
I live in zone 9 and I have a raised bed. It receives the morning sun through early afternoon only as it backs up to my house. I planted 24 Caladium near the house, onion sets (88, then 2 weeks later 88 more), green bush beans (20, then 2 weeks later 20 more), and 30 marigolds in the rest, starting the second week in March, and they are all growing great. I know that the soil has a lot to do with how well the plants grow so I enriched it with compost mixed with purchased garden soil before planting. I also have a soaker hose buried under the mulch I placed around the beans after they sprouted. The mulch helps retain moisture and keep weeding to a minimum, and the soaker hose helps water the base of the plants instead of the leaves (which cuts down on common diseases) when we do not get rain. I also think that the house blocking the late afternoon sun helps to keep the sun from frying my plants as well as the soil. I also chose seeds designed for use in our zone, so they are better able to tolerate the heat. Good luck and let me know how you do!