Do i need to thin the seedlings in erbizia?

0 votes
asked May 3, 2013 by Alissa Evans
The instructions dont tell me to thin, but i assume i need to. I planted about four seeds per herb.

1 Answer

0 votes
answered May 6, 2013 by serena covone
some ppl grow more seeds at once, and then thin once they reach a certain size, 4 seeds per section in total sound too little no. to me, as u never know if they are ALL going to sprout. germinability is never 100%, if it were it would be only too easy for all of us. unfortunately there are lots of factors that could affect the sprouting seeds, something like, mould or a seed not healthy that will never make it into a plant, too deep sowing and so on. i suggest u plant 4 seeds for each ending plant u want in the box, so if u want 4 plants i suggest u plant 16 seeds. then when they sprout u start thinning them at regular intervals' (usually few weeks, but it could vary with different plants and different growing times) , always chosing the plants that do show most vitality. ending with one alone out of the initial 4. the last plant left, should be the strongest plant of all. this way u make sure u have strong healthy plants that will grow big and produce well.
kinda complicated, apologies.
if u don t understand something, pls let me know.
ty