When do you harvest Potatoes

0 votes
asked Jun 17, 2013 by David Langenberg
This site is very hard to use for a beginner. I was looking for some basic info on growing potatoes and ended up signing up for this site. To which I still can't find any basic answers. So I guess I have to post a question like how do I grow potatoes from start to finish. When do I harvest them. I planted some and as they peeked above the soil I covered them back up with soil. Then they would re-appear and I kept covering. Now I am at the top of the pot I planted them in and the plant is above the top of the pot. So do I wait til they flower? or what to harvest them? That was all I was wanting to know.

3 Answers

0 votes
answered Jun 17, 2013 by siri haaskjold
yes , you wait til they flower - good luck .)
0 votes
answered Jun 21, 2013 by David Glew
I'm in the same situation! My plants have masses of greenery about 2 ft high but no signs of any flowers! They reached the top of the pots several weeks ago. Will they ever flower?
Flower buds have now appeared!!!
0 votes
answered Jul 8, 2013 by Lisa Baker Whittaker
When I used to grow potatoes at my parents house (can't now due to space at mine) we used to wait for the foilage to start dying back (or a few weeks after dying back - made the skins more sturdy).

However, I have been told that some potatoe plants don't flower (though most of ours did) and that you can get different batches (size/flavour etc) so I did a quick search and the info I found said you can harvest at approximatly; 10-12wks from planting for first-earlys, 14wks for second and 18-20wks for main batch (I think ours were probably left for the later 18-20wks - we used to forget them at times :D )