can anyone tell my how to tell a male cuccumber flower to a female flower?

0 votes
asked Jun 25, 2013 by lee jensen

3 Answers

+1 vote

Best answer
answered Jul 1, 2013 by Joan Joyce
selected Jul 1, 2013 by lee jensen
Not sure why they would advise that as without fertilisation the fruit would not develop. Does it say whether it is a new hybrid? I only grow heritage or heirloom varities as I save my own seeds but I have not heard of any self fertile new cultivars.
+2 votes
answered Jun 25, 2013 by Joan Joyce
Female flowers have a small swelling at the base. This is what will growl into a cucumber after fertilsation. The male flower does not have this but is just a stem and flower. The male flowers carry the pollen on their stamen which is transferred to the stigma of the female flowers by the action of insect pollinators. The female does not carry pollen.

By the way the male flowers appear before the females so if you have lots of flowers and no growing cucumbers, just be patient the females will arrive.There is only a small fertilisation window for each flower so if you have two or more plants of the same variety you can align them so male and female are in best proximity to maximise fertilisation.
0 votes
answered Jul 1, 2013 by colm lyons
Im confused now. I agree about how too tell the difference between the flowers, but on my cucumber seeds it says that you must remove the male flowers immediately as pollenated female flowers produce bitter fruits. This is my first time growing cucumbers by the way