How does one prepare herbs for drying and preservation or dry use?

+1 vote
asked Oct 6, 2013 by Reuben Smith
I have had some success with various herbs. How does one prepare and preserve herbs as dry product? eg. Thyme, Basil, Rocket, Marjoram, Rodemsry, Bayleaf etc?

2 Answers

0 votes
answered Dec 18, 2013 by Alison @ Urban Wilds
Hi.

Im thinking it may be a little too late for me to be telling you this right now as its winter already but there is always next year!

I have had great success with drying all of the above mentioned herbs and others by drying them in an 'airing cupboard' where my boiler is kept. Basically all herbs should be prepared in small loose bunches and hung upside down in a warm, dark cuboard for several days, sometimes weeks, depending on which herb you are drying. For example mint takes only a few days, rosemary takes up to a week. a few rules of thumb are: 1.  Make sure there is no dust so you could place your upside down herb buch in a paper bag or muslin first. 2. Never add a new fresh bunch to an already started drying space as it could turn your other almost dried herbs mouldy. 3. Make sure it is dark as sunlight will extract the herbs potency and medicinal benefits. 4. Once fully dried always store in airtight glass jars in a dark room or cupboard. Most herbs will last for up to six months like this.

Hope this helps. Alison
0 votes
answered Nov 7, 2014 by spaventa passeri
I have been drying oregano, sage, mint, basil, thyme and rosmary for some times. Depending on the herbs I either hang them upside down in a dark place (mint, oregano, sage) or I use an electrical dryer machine. I found a rather unexpensive one on amazon. The advantage of using the dryer is that it works fast and preserves the aroma of thin leaves such as basil. It also helps with herbs that normally require longer time to dry (rosemary, sage) and tend to break.